TOSCA Testsuite is a software tool for the automated execution of functional and regression software testing. In addition to test automation functions, TOSCA includes integrated test management, a graphical user interface (GUI), a command line interface (CLI) and an application programming interface (API). TOSCA Testsuite is developed by the Austrian software company TRICENTIS Technology & Consulting GmbH based in Vienna.
The objectives and benefits of implementing a product such as TOSCA Testsuite would be to improve efficiencies by supporting:
- Test Requirement traceability back to the business requirement
- A central repository for test cases and test scripts
- Cross systems and integration testing
- Test automation with quickly adaptable / maintainable scripting
- Defect Management through the integration with a defect management product (e.g. JIRA), that allows defects to be assigned to project team members
- The introduction of standardised test methods
- Workflow management through the integration with TFS
- Test Reporting including Test scripts execution and defect reporting
By adopting and implementing TOSCA an organisation will likely move upwards through the Test Maturity Levels.
Whilst it is important to recognise the significant advantages that Test Automation can bring to an organisation, it should not be considered to be a panacea which will solve all testing problems. In order to adopt test automation as part of the testing process (in addition to necessary manual effort) an organisation must recognise the following points:
- The organisation must have a mature testing process and testing capability in place. Automation can only replace a current manual activity.
- Automation requires significant investment in appropriate tools and the development and ongoing maintenance of automated test packs.
- Automation is not suited to areas which are subject to volatile change.